It’s wise to remain cautious when trip planning
Despite our best efforts, travelers today simply cannot know what the months ahead will bring. As a result, travel insurance is top of mind—especially for international travelers. At Trip Mate, a Generali Global Assistance company, questions surrounding travel insurance are more frequent than ever as we’re continuing to see an interest in the ways travel insurance can help with the ebb and flow of travel’s return, particularly in response to COVID-19. Whatever today may look like in this post-pandemic world, it’s wise to remain cautious when trip planning.
TRAVEL INSURANCE BASICS: WHAT TO LOOK FOR
Travel insurance is a good idea for group travel, and sometimes required depending on your destination. When looking at travel insurance options, trip organizers will want to find a plan that can reimburse your group’s prepaid trip cost in case you have to cancel for a covered reason. This coverage, Trip Cancellation, is one of the main reasons why people buy travel insurance and it is pretty standard across most plans.
You’ll also want to make sure you’re getting the right plan for the travelers in your group and for the type of trip that you’re taking. For instance, if you’re taking an international trip, you’ll want to find a plan with enough emergency medical coverage. Most health insurance plans (and Medicare and Medicaid in particular) won’t cover your group outside of the U.S. and some countries require you to have this coverage.
TRAVEL INSURANCE FOR GROUPS
Most travel insurance plans have a maximum number of people they can cover. As you might guess, group travel insurance provides a solution if you’re traveling with more people. At Trip Mate, we offer travel insurance solutions for groups that are larger than 10. Our GroupAdvantage plans can insure groups up to any size and trip lengths up to 30 days. The cost of insurance will vary for each traveler in the group, depending on their individual trip cost, travel dates and the traveler’s age.
• Standard Plan: A well-rounded package of insurance coverage and assistance services for international or domestic travel.
• Plus Plan: This plan also includes Trip Cancellation for Any Reason coverage, for an additional premium if requirements are met.
COVID-19 AND TRAVEL INSURANCE
While many destinations required travel insurance before the pandemic, COVID-19 has added to the list and, in some cases, a few more requirements. Group leaders will want to check their destination requirements when looking for insurance.
Even if insurance isn’t required, considering today’s travel climate, it’s probably a good idea to look at the ways a plan can help with COVID-19.
• COVID-19 Sickness: If a traveler or their family member gets sick with COVID-19 before or during travel.
• Additional Lodging: Help with additional lodging expenses if a traveler has to isolate at their destination for COVID-19 sickness. The Travel Delay coverage included with Trip Mate GroupAdvantage plans can help with this.
• Coverage Extensions: If a traveler has to self-isolate for COVID-19 sickness and can’t return home on time, you’ll want an insurance plan that sticks with them. Trip Mate GroupAdvantage plans can be extended for an extra seven days.
• 24/7 Travel Assistance: If a traveler needs help locating a nearby medical facility, translating the local language, rearranging their flight back home, or other assistance on their trip, a travel insurance plan with around-the-clock travel support can be key.
Getting back to travel today is unpredictable, but the right travel insurance plan can help protect your group trip from the unexpected.
To learn more about Trip Mate group travel insurance solutions, call us at 888-595-8747.
Trip Mate travel protection products and services provide travelers with coverage while they are away. Trip Mate GroupAdvantage plans are provided by Generali Global Assistance and underwritten by Generali U.S. Branch.
Image by Stux from Pixabay