Princess Cruises’ newest ship will offer a variety of brand new dining and entertainment options, with 2024 itineraries in the Mediterranean and Caribbean
The first of Princess Cruises’ Sphere-class ships, the Sun Princess, debuts in February 2024. Accommodating 4,300 passengers, she will have the most balconies and sun decks of any Princess ship. And she will be the line’s first ship powered by liquified natural gas (LNG).
Innovations include The Dome, a multi-level space that offers evening entertainment. Inspired by the terraces of Santorini, it provides guests with a perfect place to relax during the day. The Princess Theatre is evolving into the Princess Arena, with new show-stopping productions.
The new cruise ship first will offer Mediterranean cruises. In October 2024 she will be homeported in Fort Lauderdale for a season of 7- and 14-night Caribbean voyages.
Diverse Dining Options on This New Cruise Ship
A new dining experience on the Sun Princess is The Butcher’s Block by Dario, an exclusive partnership Princess Cruises has created with the world’s most famous butcher, Chef Dario Cecchini. With more than 48 years of experience, Cecchini is recognized for his butcher shop and restaurants in the Tuscan village of Panzano, Italy. Known for taking care and responsibility for the animals, he has been featured on Netflix’s popular “Chef’s Table.” Located on Deck 9, The Butcher’s Block by Dario is an impromptu experience where guests can enjoy perfectly prepared steak and beef, including Cecchini’s signature cuts.
Princess Cruises’ signature steakhouse, Crown Grill, features an upscale menu designed by Cecchini.
Other specialty restaurants include:
- Kai Sushi, a modern sushi bar
- Sabatini’s Italian Trattoria, serving freshly made pastas
- Umal Teppanyaki, offering a fusion of teppan cuisine and showmanship
- The Catch by Rudi, with treasures from the sea from renowned Chef Rudi Sodamin
Also new on the Sun Princess is Horizons, a three-story main dining room. Horizons elevates the traditional main dining experience with stunning views, art sculptures, natural light and memorable meals.
Bars and Lounges on the Sun Princess
Guests on the Sun Princess can enjoy a wide variety of cocktails, coffees and entertainment:
- Bellini’s Cocktail Bar, located in the center of the three-story Piazza, offers live entertainment.
- Coffee Currents, located on the Piazza’s first level. Enjoy a classic espresso or a creamy latte exclusive to the Sun Princess. Snacks are available, and there’s an afternoon tea with sandwiches, scones and other treats.
- O’Malley’s Irish Pub, located on Deck 7, first debuted on the Enchanted Princess. A traditional Irish pub, it offers live music, interactive entertainment and comfort food. Open for lunch, dinner and late-night fare.
- Good Spirits at Sea, also located on Deck 7, provides one-of-a-kind cocktail creations.
New Entertainment Choices
The Princess Arena provides completely different experiences each night. The three new shows are “Vallora, A Pirate Quest,” “Stage Struck” and “Viva La Musica.”
“Fiera!,” a Princess favorite re-imagined, will also take place in the Arena.
“Spellbound by Magic Castle,” a special collaboration between Princess Cruises and the famed Hollywood icon, treats guests to world-class magicians, surprises in themed rooms and themed cocktails, all behind a non-descript black door on Deck 8.
Casual Dining on the Sun Princess
Choices abound, including:
- The Promenade, where guests enjoy gourmet burgers, pizza, hot dogs and freshly baked bagels, plus a tempting selection of ice cream
- Lido, located on Deck 17, with a laid-back resort vibe. Enjoy salads, burgers and tacos. Coffee & Cones serves ice cream cones and gourmet ice cream sandwiches along with specialty coffees and teas.
- International Cafe, on Deck 9, serving breakfast sandwiches, flatbread and focaccia along with desserts
- World Fresh Marketplace, located next to the Piazza and on Deck 9. Chefs serve breakfast, lunch and dinner items at nine food stations. Options range from tapas and Mongolian barbecue to paninis and Asian stir fry.
The Sun Princess’ Inaugural 2024 Cruises
The Sun Princess’ maiden voyage, a 10-night sailing from Barcelona, Spain to Civitavecchia, Italy, will take place on February 8, 2024. She’ll continue her Mediterranean cruises through the summer and in September will do a 16-night transatlantic crossing from Southampton, England to Fort Lauderdale. Then the Sun Princess will begin a fall/winter season of Caribbean cruises.
Princess Cruises’ first new Sphere-class ship is definitely one to consider when booking your next group cruise. Her diverse itineraries provide you with great options.
For more cruise information, be sure to Subscribe to Leisure Group Travel for FREE
By Cindy Bertram